Travie Admits To Drug Addiction

Following on the heels of Lil Wayne, Gym Class Heroes emcee Travis McCoy is opening up about his drug addiction and current attempts at detox.

He posted the following entry on his official blog about what prompted him to get sober, and the pressures of the industry:

"Baby, I'm a blur…… So I've had a little time on my hands lately. Recovering from a relatively new procedure that cleans your opiate receptors and basically gives you a new beginning. I feel like a layer of shit as been peeled off of my brain. I'm sure a lot of you who really pay attention to our music know that i've been addicted to pharmaceuticals since I was 15 years old. This is my second stint in a detox program, the first was right before we signed to FBR and it really didn't help much. Meeting after meeting i still had a thirst, a death wish. Fuck it, it is what it is."

McCoy then continues:

"I'm a little weak and achy but every hour that passes I feel more and more like me. The me i haven't seen in 10 years. There is no instruction manual to this lifestyle, the road, the cameras, the press (good or bad), the expectations, the pressure, it's enough to make an ox buckle at the knees mid-charge. I've always rolled with the punches, I'm throwing them now. If it means anything , any of this, just don't be selfish, live for yourself but know your life is directly connected and important to anyone who loves or cares for you, I can count with 2 hands how many friends i've lost to drugs, I don't want to start using toes."

It seems as if the talk of pharmaceutical drug abuse has become wildly popular in Hip Hop recently. In the past weeks it has been found that UGK rapper Pimp C's untimely death was partially due to mixing medications including syrup, Promethazine with Codeine syrup abused by people to get high. Soon after, rapper Lil Wayne spoke publicly about his various addictions.

By HipHopDX.com