Gym Class Heroes Thinking About New Songs During Their Tour



After hitting the mainstream with last year's As Cruel As School Children, Gym Class Heroes are beginning to think about what to do for an encore. In addition to an unusual mash-up project combining their tracks with Hall & Oates hits, the group is starting to write new material while on tour.

Frontman Travis McCoy told MTV News that success will likely influence his new lyrics to some extent. "Yeah, in essence, I've always written about experiences, but lately, our surroundings have changed to say the least. So I'm picking up on things that are cool, and I'm picking up on things that I don't fully understand, People expect the same Travis, but with everything that's been going on around me, the subject matter is changing a bit. Don't get me wrong, though: I still take a lighthearted approach to things, try to make people laugh first and foremost, because that's how I've always gotten ass."

He continued, "But there's stuff about how people around you change when you get some success. Because that's been the hardest thing for me," he continued. "I think people take seeing someone on TV the wrong way. Even people I know. Going home to Geneva (New York) used to be this sanctuary for me, but last time I went home I had to stay in a hotel, and people were sliding sh-- under my door. I wanted to get on public-access TV and be like, 'Listen people of Geneva, I'm the same dumb, goofy guy that grew up here. Nothing's changed! Don't be scared to approach me, I'm still that dude.' "

McCoy said he will still keep things lighthearted in his new songs. "It's definitely going to be a little sarcastic, because we really can't help it. It'll have something for the critics, lemme just say that," he told MTV. "I have tons of sh-- written, so now it's all about us getting together and getting that Voltron thing happening. Oh wait, do five dudes make Voltron? Oh well, we'll be a headless Voltron, then."

Gym Class Heroes will also be hitting the road this fall with their pals in Fall Out Boy and Plain White T's and FOB's Pete Wentz told Rolling Stone the aesthetic for the trek will be inspired by the classic children's book Where The Wild Things Are. He also said that FOB fans should petition to get "Chocolate Rain" singer Tay Zonday to join the tour as well.

By FMQB.com